Are you thinking about how To Hang Projector Screen From Ceiling? If yes, you will be guided step by step in this article!
Hanging a projector screen from the ceiling, a portable and practical solution keeping the room aesthetically pleasing and converting it into a home theatre at the same time. A mounted projector on the wall occupies the whole wall and is not the preferred choice for many people. Instead, hanging the projector screen makes the wall usable while using it for entertainment. In addition, it allows you to retract the screen as per your need.
The in-ceiling projector gives a cleaner look. Normally, it is done by a professional, but it is not a difficult task to do. It can be done by you and anyone interested in these activities. It even makes up a good DIY project.
The article “How to hang projector screen from the ceiling” contains all the necessary and basic information for installing the screen at home by yourself, along with step-by-step instructions to guide you through the installation process. Most of the projector screens come as plug-and-play with no necessary assembly required and are pre-assembled with screws and brackets to either mount or hang on the wall.
The whole screen projector set-up box comes with a white screen and a control unit. A control unit is what receives infrared and radio frequency signals. This control unit can be mounted and even tucked into the installation channel. The most important thing is to find the perfect space to place the projector before purchasing the whole projector screen kit.
Material Needed To Hang Projector Screen From Ceiling
Some materials are required for hanging the projector screen from the ceiling.
- Ladder– so that you can reach the ceiling of the wall
- Screwdriver- so that you can tighten the screws and secure the brackets.
- Screws and bolts- depending on what is required for your projector screen.
- Drill- So that you can drill holes in the ceiling.
- Other materials include- Ceiling hooks, Hook snaps, L- Brackets, etc., depending on the type of projector screen.
For your convenience, a measuring tape and a non-permanent marker are handy in taking measurements and marking spots to drill on the ceiling. So these are additional yet important materials that are required.
Projector Screen Installation steps
Here are simple instructions that anyone can follow to install the projector screen from the ceiling:
- Identify the ceiling joists– First, determine where the projector screen needs to be placed. It is critical to identify it as it will help provide the accurate anchor for fastening the brackets onto the ceiling.
- Measure the installation space- Find the best mounting spot between the ceiling joists. Cut the hole of the length of the screen’s casing along with the end cap mounting brackets.
- Drill the mounting holes- Drill the holes to mount the screen hanger. Do a test fit of the screen first before drilling. Align the holes and then drill the corresponding two holes.
- Secure the brackets- Secure the brackets to the stud using screws and a screwdriver.
- Attach the control unit- Mounting the control unit on the wall or tucking it up into the installation channel that cut into the ceiling, depending on you.
- Connect to the power source- To check whether it is working or not, plug it in. It will help identify if there is any connection issue before tucking in the wires and placing the control unit.
- Tuck in the wires and control unit in the installation channel- It otherwise affects the décor of that room. It is important not to block the screen. The control box has an RF receiver; the remote is the RF signal sender to control the whole operation. It should not be hindered.
- Align the tapped holes- Use the end cap brackets on the screen’s casing for aligning.
- Secure the screen- Use the bolts to secure the screen. Make sure that these bolts are tight using a socket wrench.
- Install the end flange covers- It covers all the visible parts of the installation channel of the projector screen
- Cleaning– The final step is to use any cleaning solution to clean the project from any dust particles and fingerprints.
- Test -Test the projector for any installation and hanging errors. If there are any problems and errors, correct them.
Points to Ponder
- The placement of the projector plays an important role. It is important to make sure that no pipes and wires are disturbed during the installation of the screen projector. Along with that, the bolts are also in the acceptable length with the projector.
- When drilling, the screws should be in the correct vertical position for straight drilling.
- Another important point is the in-ceiling projector screen should be parallel with the ceiling joists.
- It is also important to double-check the lease or rental contract to confirm whether it allows any modifications or not or whether written permission is required.
- Normally there are two options to choose from when hanging a projector screen. One is the eyebolt screws, and the other is the toggle bolts. Among which toggle bolt is more secure and requires drilling. Whereas using eyebolt screws is a fast and efficient method. It depends on you to choose from.
- In most cases, the ceiling height is appropriate and is perfect for hanging the projector screen and control unit. If it is not the case, use the brackets extensions to adjust the height to the required level.
- It is highly advised to read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully.
- Most importantly, you have to choose the wall that has no direct light. Otherwise, it will affect the image quality and overall experience by displaying a washed-out image.
- The wall you have chosen should also not have any dark paint or any patterns as it can also affect the image experience. It is advised to use ambient light rejecting paint.
- Use blackout curtains for the windows to completely block the light from outside.
- It is also essential to calculate the projector throw distance. It is the distance between the lens and the projector screen. It is normally listed on the instruction manual. If not, you can calculate it using a simple formula “throw ratio x screen width.” This formula is independent of the distance unit.
- It is also advised to decide the best projector controller to either mount on the wall or the ceiling. Out of which ceiling is more preferred.
Pros of hanging the projector screen
Even though it is advised to hang the projector screen only for special reasons, it has many advantages.
- The screen will be discreet when it is not used.
- If the screen is adjustable to be lowered or raised, it doesn’t affect the décor of that room.
- The motorized screens are less likely to be damaged.
It may look like a simple and easy job, but many points need to be taken care of, including the installation area, wiring, pipelines, etc.… It is highly advised to get a professional to get this job done.
If you want to try new things and are confident that you can install the project screen, then this article “How To Hang Projector Screen From Ceiling” will help you guide through all the required material and steps that need to be followed. Even if you want a professional to hang the projector screen for you, this article will walk you through all the steps to assure the steps are being followed and installation is done correctly.